Saturday, August 27, 2011

Figure Modeling

I took a stab at figure modeling from a class I took and I decided to re-create the classic character: Cad Bane from the Star Wars: Clone Wars 3D cartoon series. I really liked him because his face seemed a bit simpler for a beginner. Without a nose or ears to worry about and that he is an alien you can get away with a few mistakes that you can't with a human.

In the creation process I learned a lot. I first had to learn to model in actual clay by hand to get a feel for just what I would be doing in the computer. Then I went ahead and drew up side and front and rear images of the character. I crossed them over in Maya to give it a 360 degree view and then manipulated a block of 3D "clay" to mold to his body shape in the computer. Then I had to design arms hands, head, legs and feet. I had to look at a few anatomy books to get it looking somewhat right. I would still like to make some changes to him someday to look just a little more anatomically correct, but I got an A on the assignment.

I also liked this character because he is a cowboy bounty hunter alien and I love stuff from the old west. Here are some pictures of what I ended up with for the end result from the project. He isn't in cowboy form just because the focus of this class was just to get down modeling. These are just basic textures. The next class that I wanted to take but didn't fit in with my schooling deals with texturing him with z brush, giving him clothing and posing him by learning to make a rig for his body.




His wrinkles were a fun touch.


Hands proved to be challenging.









No comments:

Post a Comment